9.06.2011

Lessons learned in a hurricane

Well after about a week, I finally got power back. Gotta love the efficiency of the power company servicing Richmond. Anyway I immediately did what anyone in my situation would do - turn on every light in the house, all the electronics (including my sewing machine) and took a nice hot shower. Then I proceeded to spend some quality time with Nina (my sewing machine).

Irene did a little bit of damage to our neighborhood, but luckily we escaped without any major problems. When my husband went to school later in that week, some of his classmates told stories of trees falling on their cars. Yikes! I'm glad that most of the trees by my house managed to stay standing. Sadly, some of my neighbors were not so lucky. Here are some photos I took while on a walk the day after.




So here's what I learned during my first ever hurricane experience:

1. Try your hardest to have a lot of hand quilting projects available...having your binding not machined stitched onto the five quilt tops you have lying around ready for binding would provide plenty to do for the many long non-power hours.

2. Also you may plan on reading a lot of books (and I did) but trust me it gets boring after a few hundred hours. And I love reading. Love to the point that when I was a child my punishment used to be no reading for a week and you would have thought my phone and weekend privileges were taken away by the amount of drama that ensued from that punishment.

3. Some people believe that a warm shower is a luxury...I have come to the realization that it is in fact, a necessity.

4. Getting to know your neighbors is a great idea. Especially because a situation might arise where they have power and you do not...and if you know them the probability that they will give you an extension cord for your fridge increases exponentially.

5. If your phone has been breaking and you hear that a hurricane might be hitting your area then it might be a good idea to get a new phone....one that doesn't drop calls randomly and holds a charge for longer than an hour and a half.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So glad you are ok and you made it through relatively unscathed.