2.10.2012

Quilts for Cancer: Octagonal Orb Block

I may or may not have over booked myself quilting wise this month. Does anyone else ever have this problem?

Anyway, during a few free moments this week I decided to work on my first ever block for the Quilts for Cancer Bee I'm a part of. I love the idea of making quilts for people affected by cancer...sadly it's such a widespread disease in the world, that almost everyone knows someone who is fighting (or fought) a battle with cancer.

Marta (who just started up her own blog by the way -- From Marta with Love -- be sure to go leave her some love!)  kicked the bee off with an excellent choice -- Elizabeth Hartmen's octagonal orb block. I've been itching to try this block out, so to say I was excited might be an understatement.


I've noticed that people sure are loving the spring green/aqua/gray color combo these days (we all know how I feel about gray!) and Marta is no exception. I especially like how she wanted to use quilter's linen in place of a traditional solid. I think linen adds so much texture to a quilt, and am planning on using it extensively in a future project.


Elizabeth's instructions were easy to understand (as always), and I love that it made such a large block - finished at 16.75 inches by 16.75 inches. The blocks were a bit time consuming to make but are an excellent use of scraps and I imagine an entire quilt with these might be in my somewhat distant future.  If you want to make your own Octagonal Orb (and you know you do) check out the instructions here.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

That turned out beautifully Lyanna! Love it!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! That is just so so beautiful and those colours just brilliant!
I'll go to visit Martha!
x Teje

Marta S. said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out, Lyanna! I really appreciate that.

I cannot wait to get your block. Have you sent it to me yet? How 'bout now...? :)

-Marta