10.09.2011

My Non-Sewing Summit Weekend

So this weekend was the sewing summit in Salt Lake City. And I didn't go but oh I wish I had gone. I was this close to hopping on a plane with the intention of crashing the party (good thing I still have lots of family/friends that live in SLC) but alas the price of a plane ticket was an arm, a leg and my first born child. That's what I get for not planning ahead. Procrastination...it's a killer.

Anywho in order to ease my sadness, I decided to take things into my own hands. On Sat I did what any girl in my position would do...go shopping. Of course I hit up my local quilt shop and just had to buy the following fabrics because they were on sale.


Then I couldn't resist picking up this jewel.


A circle attachment is a must have for every Bernina owner. Just think of all the circles you can sew with so much ease...Bubbles, balloons and polka dots galore. Can't wait to start sewing with this.

But of course I didn't stop there and hit up my next destination...the mall. With my friends Nordstroms and Ann Taylor Loft, I soon managed to forget about all the fun I was missing out on in Utah...that is until I got home and talked to a good friend who happens to live in Salt Lake City.

Luckily, my dashing husband declared that he was ahead in his studies and had some unexpected free time to spend with me so went to dinner, visited our favorite chocolate store (oh how well he knows me) and watched a few movies at home...so relaxing!

Of course the weekend didn't end on Saturday, and this afternoon I finished the binding on one of my many (let me emphasize that for you MANY) quilts that needs to be completed by the end of the year. I can count on all my fingers and toes and my neighbors fingers and toes the number of people I know with babies due before the year is out....that plus Christmas presents means I have a lot of bindings to finish up.


Which brings me to my next thought. Has anyone ever heard of the Bernina Binding Foot? Apparently it does everything for you in one shot - wraps the fabric around the binding and sews it all at once for an even seam on the front and back. What an AMAZING idea! If only it wasn't 300 bucks...before I shell out that kind of cash (I am, after all married to a medical student) I need to do some research on the benefits of such a device.

Finally, today I was blown away by the response my Stockings from Kids Charity Drive has got! Wow! That alone makes not going to sewing summit worth it. Thanks guys, you rock! If you haven't signed up yet, no worries, there's still plenty of time. =)

Well now you must excuse me as I am going to go finish making a massive amount of chocolate chip cookies.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love shopping therapy! I did some this weekend too :) Have you heard of the martelli's quick bind foot - it is supposed to work on any machine - I have one but I've never used it. Way less expensive than $300, it is $150 - I paid less for mine - but I bought it about 6 years ago and it came with far less tools and gadgets. I still bind the old fashioned way - too lazy to learn something new I guess! Congrats for the post on the Jolly Jabber today!!!

Sarina said...

Cute blog and Christmas stocking pattern. Besides the $300 price tag, the thing I didn't like about the binder foot after researching it... is that the binding is just single fold-which would be awesome for aprons, clothes, bags, etc. but I like a traditional double fold binding for my quilts. So, in the end, I couldn't justify the money for the use.